Have you ever noticed that when you are searching for an important document through a clutter of office materials only ends up in further confusion? This is one of the biggest dilemmas with establishing a home office. I think of a home office as not just a place for a home business, it’s also the place where you sort your bills, maybe where your computer is. It’s THE place you get things done. Most people tend to forget about organizational needs within the office, thinking that it isn’t important since you are just at home anyway. However, lack of organization could result to reduced productivity. I have quite a large desk and have lost count of the times I’ve gone over it lifting up bits of paper to see if what I want is underneath. Also that pile which accumulates on the end? Yep that’s ended up on the floor and yes when picking the bits of paper up I’ve though, “that’s where it went” Ring any bells?
So here’s some tips on how to sort things out in your home office.
First thing I am going to suggest is buy a shredder. When you start sorting, you will probably want to throw away some of the clutter. If it has your name and address on it, shred it
Clean Up Your Desk
The steps might be obvious, but most people have difficulty reducing clutter at their home office. Here are suggested methods that you can try:
– Remove all papers off your desk. Then, organize them according to types and designate a container for them. The same goes with all of your writing implements.
– If you find that there are some papers or documents in the clutter that you no longer need, destroy them or throw them away.
– If there are any old reading materials that you no longer use in your home office, put them away. It only eats up space that could have been used for storing all your other important documents.
– Purchase a corkboard or memory board. They are useful in organizing all your items off the desk. I have one of those magnetic whiteboards.
– Try re-arranging your desk so you can get maximum space when doing your work.
– Regularly clean your home office desk.
Designate Containers or Spaces
You have several file types on your desk. Therefore, you can make it easier for you to search through them later by designating specific containers or space for each type of documents. This will help you achieve two things: you clean out your desk space and you also make it easier searching for them later.
You can use a tray or utilize a drawer space in your filing cabinet to isolate these important files by category. When it’s time to use any of them, you will readily know where to find them and save yourself time that could be utilized in doing other work responsibilities. When organizing your files, you must determine whether you are going to use them or not. Then, you can contain it in designated spaces, file it, or throw them away. It will save time and workspace.
Create a Schedule Plan
A planner or calendar is a must for every home office desk. It will allow you to keep track of the date, which you could easily lose track of with a busy schedule at work. If possible, you must get yourself a planner. It will allow you to indicate a set of activities that you must perform or attend to for a specified date, or jot down other important information that you might need or use.
Benefits of Organized Home Office Desk
Establishing a home office entails a lot more work than most think. Aside from the challenge of having to balance work and home life, it can be difficult for some to find the discipline to condition your mind that even though you are at home, your home office is considered as a workspace. Here are some motivating factors you need to get organized at your home office:
– Organization will translate to your image as a professional. Therefore, when you are able to impress people with the level of organization at your physical home office, it will serve as a reflection of you as a person and business professional.
– It makes it easier for you to find items you need later on.
– It will help prevent losing or throwing away important documents or items.
– It can help relieve stress, since you won’t have to constantly deal with cluttered mess and inefficiency at work caused by disorganization.
P.S Like the post? You could always like and share it.
I would love to hear your comments too.
Be one of the first to read my posts by signing up to my newsletter.